Friday 11 December 2015

New Apprentice

Theo Duncumb Rogers

Age: 19 
ApprenticeshipCommunications Apprentice
Qualification: NCTJ Level 3 Junior Journalist

Why did you choose an apprenticeship?
I had a gap year in which I spent most of the time wondering what I should do. I didn’t know what I would study at university and didn’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of money to study something that I was unsure I wanted to do. I also didn’t want to be burdened with the debt that university comes with. I thought an apprenticeship was the right thing for me as I would gain experience and a free qualification, which I wouldn’t get in a regular job.

I now work in the Brighton & Hove City Council press office where I write press releases, answer media enquiries and help run the council’s social media sites. Brighton & Hove City Council are the only local authority in the south east that employees journalist apprenticeships so am really grateful to be given this opportunity. 

Where do you go to college?
I attend Lambeth College in London once a week where I study shorthand, media law and news reporting.

Background
After finishing college at BHASVIC, I took a gap year in which I got a job at Boots to gain some experience. I also did a bit of travelling where I went to Gran Canaria, Paris and I interrailed around Europe. I attended Glastonbury festival and volunteered with Oxfam at Bestival which was a really great experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment